Saturday, August 3, 2013

German Chocolate Love



I'm kind of famous in my family for my German Chocolate Cake.  My mom always requests it for birthdays, dinners and parties.  Whenever my sister comes to town she requests it... you get the idea.  So, I decided to make it in cupcake form.

First the cake:

I used a cake mix but used milk instead of water and I always add vanilla and I think I added about a 1/2 cup of sour cream for moisture.


I really need to invest in some grease proof papers because the chocolate cake just makes the liners very dull.  Oh well.  Those liners were really cute.

Next I made the coconut pecan frosting.  I went to my old stand by recipe that came from my old standby cookbook that I have had forever as you can see by the tattered and torn photo.... which apparently includes sample (see bottom left).  Good old Betty Crocker!


Here is the recipe, straight from the book:


I do just exactly as it says and it turns out perfect every single time.  I tried to show what it looks like at the beginning and at the end, but you can't really tell in the pictures.

Start:
Finish:

I'm hoping you can kind of see the difference.  It gets a much darker caramel color.  Then you add the coconut and the pecans.  Yummm


I wanted it to cool down quickly so that I could get them done so I put the hot/warm pan of frosting into a bowl of ice.  It actually worked really well.  Who knew?


I realized when I was getting the recipe for the coconut pecan frosting that the chocolate french silk buttercream frosting that I always use because it always turns out fabulous is also from this same cookbook.


I had forgotten that this is where it came from.  Sorry for the flash spot.



I decided to put a little of the frosting as a filling as well as a garnish on top.  I didn't want there to be too much of it, just a little taste, so I used my handy, dandy homemade poker.


Yes, it's a dowel that I have covered with clear tape so that the flavors don't seep into the wood and it can be washed.  I am sure there is an actual tool for this out there somewhere, but this works and it's free!


After I filled them, I put a small cookie scoop of coconut pecan frosting in the middle and then piped the chocolate frosting around the edges.  I made the frosting a little too loose for my piping liking, but it held up so all is well.

A view from the middle....


And there you have it.... German Chocolate Love!


No comments:

Post a Comment